Scientific Facts About Mct
1- It helps to burn fat.
2- By triggering the hormone leptin, it prevents the formation of the feeling of hunger.
3- It strengthens the immune system.
4- It has fewer calories than other fatty acids.
5- It has positive effects on athletic performance.
6- Digestion rate is faster than long chain fatty acids.
7- By triggering the hormone leptin, it prevents the formation of the feeling of hunger.
8- It is used in the treatment of diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Dementia.
What is MCT ?
Digestion of fats differs according to the number of carbon atoms. Fatty acids; short chain (2-4 C), medium chain (6-10 C) and long chain (12-20 C). The fewer the carbon atoms, the faster it is digested. For this reason, MCTs (medium chain fatty acids) have very important effects for the body. Most fats are digested for a long time in the small intestine with the help of pancreatic lipase and bile salts secreted from the liver. At this point, since MCTs are 8 to 10 carbon fatty acids, they leave the stomach quickly and are easily hydrolyzed in the small intestine (3). For this reason, unlike other oils, MCT is a healthy energy source before sports.can be preferred. The main reason is that it does not make the individual feel bloated and uncomfortable during exercise.
In the 1980s, Dr. Vigen K. Babayan found a way to produce MCT in high quantities in his own laboratory and expanded its usage areas in 30 years (1). It is naturally found in coconut and MCT constitutes approximately 60% of coconut oil . They have fewer calories than LCTs (long chain fatty acids) in terms of caloric value. While MCT contains 8.3 calories per gram, LCT contains 9.2 calories per gram (2). In addition, MCT can be transported to mitochondria and oxidized rapidly without the need for re-esterification (4).I mentioned earlier in the l-carnitine article
http://www.hardlinenutrition.com/index.php?route=information/makaleler&makaleler_id=7 ) that the l-carnitine pathway is essential for fat burning . But this is not necessary for MCTs . This is because MCTs are small enough to pass through the inner wall of mitochondria (Figure 1). Thus, fat burning is provided much faster.
Exercise and MCT Consuming
small amounts of MCTs during a prolonged workout will produce beneficial results. According to a study, when consuming a mixture of carbohydrates + 30 grams of MCT , compared to consuming only carbohydrates , it was observed that muscle glycogen stores were better preserved and performance increased in 2 hours of cycling exercise (6). In a study conducted in 2008, it was observed that consuming MCT- containing meals before training limits the increase in blood lactate level and helps to continue the increase in performance (7). In a study conducted at Kyoto University,It was observed that the swimming capacity of the mice given MCT was significantly higher than those given LCT. In addition, this effect occurred in both trained and untrained mice.
At this point, it has been revealed that individuals can contribute to performance only by changing their diet, regardless of their training status. Its main metabolic effect is to increase the enzymes of 3-oxoacid CoA, citrate synthesis and malate dehydrogenase, which are involved in the energy system (8). In the same survey MCT it has made the group more fat burning . The use of MCT in individuals doing fitness shows positive results.Taking 30-50% of the dietary fat from such fats will serve as an auxiliary element in reaching the goal during the volume and definition periods. The main reason for this is rapid digestion and evaluation by the body as energy and ketone bodies (explained below) rather than being stored as fat. Also MCT 's rate of oxide to be 6-9 g / hour LCT' s digestive rate of only 2-5 g / h (5). In a study conducted in
Weight Control and MCT
Naples University, it was observed that the fat burning of obese individuals consuming MCT + LCT was much higher than individuals consuming LCT alone (9). In 1994, long-term MCT in overweight individualsIt has been observed that its use has positive effects on weight loss (10). Stubbs RJ et al designed a 14-day experiment and administered free diets containing low, moderate, and high MCTs to volunteer subjects . At the end of 14 days, it was seen that subjects who took high MCTs ate less calories and helped control appetite. (12)
Health and MCT
MCT helps to maintain general health and provides relief of negative symptoms in the treatment of many diseases. MCT ; It can be effective in preventing the formation of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) (11). The reason for this effect is that it has anti-clotting and blood cholesterol-lowering properties (11).In addition, it reduces cholesterol levels in the liver and other organs.
MCT can be converted into energy in the liver, as well as partially converted to ketone bodies. Ketones are used by the brain as energy, as well as by organs other than the liver. The benefit of ketone bodies in the treatment of neurological disorders and some other diseases is known . For this reason, in the treatment of epilepsy; MCT is used in ketogenic diets (13). In addition, MCT consumption is recommended in the treatment of Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Narcolepsy diseases, since increasing ketone bodies can improve the health status of the individual .In 2009, the FDA (American Food and Drug Administration) approved the use of additional foods containing MCTs for the treatment of Alzheimer's .
It helps to strengthen the immune system and remove toxic compounds from the body, as well as have an anti-aging effect (14,15).
MCT can be used as a dressing for salads or consumed purely while cooking. However, attention should be paid to the cooking temperature, as it will crumble and lose its properties above 150-160 degrees. In addition to its effects on rapid digestion and fat burning, it is suitable to be taken during the day for a healthy life.
Sports Dietitian Coşku HAPPY
1) Babayan, VK Medium chain fatty acid esters and their medical and nutritional applications. J Am Oil Chem Soc, 1981, 58: 49A-51A.
2) 2. Kaunitz, H. Dietary use of MCT in “Bilanzierte Ernaehrung in der Therapie,” K. Lang, W. Fekl, and G. Berg, eds. George Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, 1971.
3) Bach AC, Babayan VK. Medium-chain triglycerides: an update. Am J Clin Nutr 1982;36:950–62.
4) Saggerson ED, Carpenter CA. Carnitine palmitoyltransferase and carnitine octanoyltransferase activities in liver, kidney cortex, adipocyte, lactating mammary gland, skeletal muscle, and heart. FEBS Lett 1981;129:229–32..
5) Jeukendrup AE, Saris WHM, Schrauwen P, Brouns F, Wagenmakers AJM. Metabolic availability of medium-chain triglycerides coingested with carbohydrates during prolonged exercise. J Appl Physiol 1995; 79:756–62.
6) Van Zyl CG, Lambert EV, Hawley JA, Noakes TD, Dennis SC. Effects of medium-chain triglyceride ingestion on fuel metabolism and cycling performance. J Appl Physiol 1996;80:2217–25.
7) Naohisa NOSAKA Effect of Ingestion of Medium-Chain Triacylglycerols on Moderate- and High-Intensity Exercise in Recreational Athletes Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology Vol. 55 (2009) No. 2 P 120-125
8) Fushiki T, Matsumoto K, Inoue K, Kawada T, Sugimoto E. Swimming endurance capacity of mice is increased by chronic consumption of medium-chain triglycerides. J Nutr 1995 Mar;125(3):531-9.
9) Flatt, JP, Ravussin, E., Acheson, KJ & Jequier, E. (1985) Effects of dietary fat on postprandial substrate oxidation and on carbohydrate and fat balances. J. Clin. Investig. 76:1019-1024.
10) Hainer V, Kunesova M, Stich V, Zak A, Parizkova J. The role of oils containing triacylglycerols and medium-chain fatty acids in the dietary treatment of obesity. The effect on resting energy expenditure and serum lipids. Cas Lek Cesk 1994 Jun 13;133(12):373-5.
11) Stewart, JW, Wiggers, KD, Jacobsen, NL, Berger, PJ Effect of various triglycerides on blood and tissue cholesterol of calves, J Nutr, 1978, 108: 561-566.
12) Stubbs RJ, Harbron CG. Covert manipulation of the ratio of medium- to long-chain triglycerides in isoenergetically dense diets: effect on food intake in ad libitum feeding men. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1996 May;20(5):435-44
13) Neal, EG, et al. A randomized trial of classical and medium-chain triglyceride ketogenic diets in the treatment of childhood epilepsy. Epilepsy 2009;50:1109-1117.
14) Rojas G, Jiménez JM, Gutiérrez JM. Caprylic acid fractionation of hyperimmune horse plasma: description of a simple procedure for antivenom production. toxic 1994 Mar;32(3):351-63.
15) Omura Y, O'Young B, Jones M, Pallos A, Duvvi H, Shimotsuura Y. Caprylic acid in the effective treatment of intractable medical problems of frequent urination, incontinence, chronic upper respiratory infection, root canalled tooth infection, ALS, etc., caused by asbestos & mixed infections of Candida albicans, Helicobacter pylori & cytomegalovirus with or without other microorganisms & mercury. Acupunct Electrother Res. 2011;36(1-2):19-64.